Planning to be a part of the All Assembly Choir? Choir Rehearsal will be at 3:00 PM on Friday, November 2nd. Please reach out to Music Director, Dr. Jeffrey Murdock at email@example.com for more details.
PreAssembly Seminar information - Registration required
This event will take place at Kings Highway Christian Church. Registration is required, but thanks to a gift from Pinnacle Outreach Ministry, there is no charge to attend this training (lunch is included).
Meet your Co-Facilitator:
Rev. Sandhya Jha comes from a background in community organizing and political engagement. In addition to serving as Executive Director of the Oakland Peace Center outside San Francisco, she serves as Director of Interfaith Programs at East Bay Housing Organizations and as chair of Faith Alliance for a Moral Economy. She is an anti-racism trainer for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and a regular public speaker across the country on issues of race and social justice.
Meet your Co-Facilitator:
John Goebel, CPA is Vice President of Finance in the Office of General Minister & President. John has been with the Disciples for over 18 years and has participated in the “train the trainer” program with Reconciliation Ministries since 2016.
Introductory Webinar with Author Carolyn Helsel.
When it comes to discussing racism, many white people are overwhelmed with anxiety, leading to a fight-or-flight response. In Anxious to Talk About It, pastor and professor Carolyn B. Helsel draws on her successful experiences with white congregations to offer us tools to embrace and explore these anxious feelings.
Voting Delegates Information
Here’s what our Bylaws say about the Regional Assembly:
A. Regional Assembly. The Regional Assembly is a gathering of the members of the Great River Region of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) convened in the fall of even numbered years, usually the first weekend of November. No less than 30 days notification of the members of the Christian Church is required. The program and business of the Regional Assembly shall include: worship, education of its members, and the transaction of business. In organizing for business the Regional Assembly shall receive and act upon proposed program and policy, reports, resolutions, other items duly referred to it and elect leadership of the Regional Church. In the event of an extraordinary meeting of the Regional Assembly, the same notice shall apply. Said Assembly would be called by the Board of Directors.
B. Voting Privileges. All members of the Regional Church who register for the Regional Assembly shall have all the privileges of the Assembly except that voting privileges shall be limited to the following:
- Ministers. Ministers with standing in the Regional Church.
- Board of Directors. Voting members of the Regional Board not otherwise voting members.
- Congregations. Each congregation of the Regional Church shall be entitled to have three voting representatives, plus one additional voting representative for each 100 participating members, or major fraction thereof, over the first one hundred. These voting representatives shall be in addition to the ministers with standing in the Regional Church and members of the Board of Directors who hold membership in the congregation. Care should be taken, by each congregation, to be sure that to the best of its ability laymen, laywomen and young people are a part of its voting representation.
- Term of Office. Voting members of the Regional Assembly shall serve from the beginning of one Regional Assembly to the beginning of the next regular Regional Assembly.
- Limitation. No person shall have more than one vote in the Regional Assembly, and no person shall vote in absentia or by proxy.
Voting Delegate's Letter Requirements:
- Should be printed on church letterhead
- Signed by the Board Chair
- Sent to the Regional Office no later than Friday, October 25, 2018
If you are doing online registration, you can upload your delegate's letter through the online system.
NOTE: There are room blocks reserved at these hotels in Shreveport-Bossier City -
Be sure to mention that you're part of the Great River Region Assembly to qualify for the group rate.
Regional Assembly Headquarters Hotel
Additional hotel room blocks
Registration Brochure sections
Terri Hord Owens
General Minister and President
Christian Church (DOC)
Rev. Dr. David Brice
Kings HighwayChristian Church
Rev. Sandhya Jha
Oakland Peace Center
Vice President, Finance
Office of General Minister and President
Christian Church (DOC)
Rev. Jarrett Banks
First Christian Church, Fort Smith
Rev. Dr. Jeff Murdock
First Christian Church, Rogers
Assoc. Dir. of Choral Activities and Asst Prof. of Music at the Univ of Arkansas